Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Salesperson Prototypes from Hell

I spent a lot of time on the subway today and instead of working on some job-related tasks or thinking about serious things like the state of the world, I was wondering what the worst traits are in shop assistants. These are the five things I came up with: too clingy, arrogant, ignores you, overly social and incompetent. I made a matrix out of them, describing what the resulting behavior of their combination might be. A sort of mini sociological study. I realise this might be offensive to both shop assistants all over the world and sociologists, but hey, I was bored. Click to see full size!



Do you always get treated well? Are you sometimes put off by bad personnel? Or do you just provoke them a bit for kicks?

3 comments:

  1. I think your descriptions are pretty accurate...but there are those wonderful moments when you have the perfect shopping experience. :) I worked as a retail associate for five years, and I honestly loved it. I tried to tread the line between apathy and annoying, and I think I did okay. :)

    -Hope
    www.aflatteringtale.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This analysis is so awesome, haha. I'm sure everyone who'll read that post will agree with the different traits you chose.

    You can also put the name of a store for each traits. For instance, Zara would be "arrogant + ignores you", the worse for me. I usually provoke them by asking too many questions about sizes and fabrics. Lame but takes a little bit of my anger out.

    Absolute B of Incognito

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope: you're right, of course! I think most people try the best they can and usually do a wonderful job.

    Absolute B: Not lame, awesome! Costumer service is usual so awful in Europe in general and big chains especially. We should all be a bit more demanding.

    Some stores really do fit a certain profile, no matter how many people they employ. Maybe it's got something to do with the organisational culture? Like H&M is mostly a combination of incompetent and ignoring you, because they hire so many teenage girls.

    ReplyDelete